CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Nerve: Turned Away Cause I Couldn't Pay

Ever been turned away at a doctors office cause you couldn't pay your co-pay that day? Well today marked a first for me. I scheduled an appt. at a new doctors office, it had been awhile since my last physical and I hadn't had one since moving down here to NC. I chose an office that was affiliated with the hospital that I had my youngest daughter at since I LOVED that hospital but unfortunately the hospital and this office did not have the same values. I will never return there again and I say this as someone who didn't get passed the waiting room.
After driving around trying to find the place I entered the waiting room and proceeded to fill out the necessary paperwork for a first time patient. Forty minutes after entering the building I was still waiting in the waiting room when the receptionist called me to the front and handed me back my insurance card and asked me for my co pay. I explained to her that my husband didn't get paid till tomorrow and that there wasn't enough money in our acct. to pay the co pay till then and asked if they could bill me for the $20. She told me that they couldn't do that and that I'd have to reschedule. What an inconvenience and all over $20 that I could pay the next day. I wish I had known how unwilling this practice was to accommodate their patients as my husband had to take the morning off work to watch our three kids so I could go, get up early and not eat or drink anything as they instructed I do so for a physical and make me sit there for 45 minutes just to be told they couldn't see me. Obviously this practice is more concerned about making a dollar than the well being of people. I was so disappointed, not so much over the money as I do think it was a pretty ridiculous reason for me not to be seen, but over the fact that I finally was able to do something for myself, to take care of myself and like most things it was put on hold. Tough start to the week but hopefully the rest will go smoother. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

$20 is such a small amount for them to be concerned about. Seriously ur insurance is going to pay out more than that for the office visit. I would not go back myself and I would send them a note as to why you chose another physician. So sorry ur week started off on a bad note.

The anonomous mom said...

Hey Jennifer thanks for commenting. I actually left a review on yellow pages.com of course it was a negative one giving my experience there. I also made sure to call them up after I left about a mile down the road and told them to erase any info. they had on me since I wouldn't be returning. I'm one that can't hold back when I have something to say which is why I started this blog, haha. Thanks again for reading and commenting!