CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, April 17, 2009

Hourly Rate For A Sitter?

I've been craving a date night with my husband and it seems like since we had our third child a date night has become a complete thing of the past. We moved to NC from NY about three years ago which means no extended family around and no free babysitting :( I do have wonderful friends that have offered and in fact have taken my kids for a few hours so we can go out to dinner and whatnot but I feel terrible asking them to often as they have two children of their own and I'd be asking them to watch more than they have themselves, so I went on a hunt for a teenage babysitter. To my surprise I found the most wonderful girl who was fantastic w/ my daughters and managed to juggle getting all three down for bed. I had her sit for me one night so my husband and I could go out to dinner and a comedy club w/ my in laws when they were down visiting. We were gone about 4 hours total and when we returned my mother in law, after insisting, paid her $40 ($10 per hour). The short of the long is that now i'm afraid to call her back to sit because I can't afford the $10 an hour rate that she was paid last time, don't get me wrong she was a fabulous sitter and deserves every penny but if I pay her $10 an hour then I might as well sit home because I can't afford to do anything else. I'm not sure what the going rate is these days for an occasional sitter, am I being to cheap or is $10 an hour really the going rate?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I have two small boys and I only pay out $20 maybe $25 if it was a longer than usual date (which is rare). $40 is more than a teen would make at minimum wage in California for that many hours. Most teens don't expect to make that much unless others have set that as the standard. My sitter is pleased at punch with $20 and a tall caramel frap with extra whip.